In downtown San Diego – just down the hill from our Banker’s Hill office – is the historic Spreckels Theatre, which is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year.
Commissioned by entrepreneur and philanthropist John D. Spreckels, the Spreckels Theater was the first modern commercial playhouse west of the Mississippi when it opened its doors in August of 1912. Designed by architect Harrison Albright, the reinforced concrete structure has an ornate Baroque interior, an 82 feet by 58 feet stage, and with 1915 seats to correspond to the year of the Panama-California Exposition.
The theatre began life as a vaudeville house before being converted to a movie palace during Hollywood’s golden era. In 1976 the theatre was again repurposed as a venue for live performance, and hosts a variety of concerts, plays, and events to this day.
In celebration of the theatre’s centennial, the 1937-era marquee and blade signs are being restored after 75 years of faithful service – with new wiring, neon, and a fresh coat of paint in the familiar shade of aqua blue.
In other news – Studio E Architects is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year as well! Keep an eye out for more information on that in future posts!